I certainly was very surprised the first time I came across literature about the nutritive value of hemp seeds.
Hemp seeds, you say!?!
Yes! You can begin improving your health and life now by including four heaping tablespoons of hemp hearts into your food intake each day. (Note - there are absolutely no psychotropic properties in hemp seeds.)
Here are some impressive facts about hemp's benefit;
Hemp Hearts are about 1/2 oil and 1/3 protein, for cellular health:
- greatly exceeds most energy bars for energy, providing this energy in a better form - not sugar and saturated fats.
- provides a complete spectrum of vital, natural proteins
- 4 Tbsp. is enough for a meal on cereal, fruit or salad, containing 240 calories energy.
Contains all the required proteins in the best proportions for human nutrition:
- A more digestible protein than meat, whole eggs, cheese, human milk, cows milk or any other high protein food.
- Better spectrum of available proteins than soybeans - without the soybean anti-nutritional factors.
- An excellent protein product for everyone - mothers, babies, body builders, convalescents and old folks.
- Can be eaten by those unable to tolerate nuts, gluten, lactose or sugar; there are no known allergies to hemp foods.
The oil component consists of preferred ratios of all essential fatty acids:
- With 78% essential fats, hemp oil GREATLY EXCEEDS soy oil @ 40%, canola oil @ 30%, olive oil @ 10% and other oils.
- Hemp oil contains more "Omega 3" EFA components (19%) than are found in any fish and in most fish-oil supplements.
- The balance of essential fats and proteins may reduce cholesterol, blood pressure, coronary heart disease and stroke.
- The ratio of Omega 6 and Omega 3 EFA's in hemp oil is thought to be the best in nature for promoting cellular health.
- Hemp foods reduce inflammation and benefit those with arthritis, cardiovascular disease, psoriasis - even tuberculosis.
- By improving circulation and reducing inflammation, hemp products may be particularly beneficial for diabetics.
- Hemp oil contains plant sterols which may reduce the risk of colon and prostate cancer.
As you can see, the facts support including hemp hearts and other hemp products into your daily nutrition. In addition to being a valuable health addition, hemp hearts have a delicious nutty, flavour making it a taste treat to include in your salads, meatloafs, lazagna, shakes, breads or on your cereal, ice cream and stir fries.
Carolyn's Hemp Smoothie Recipe
Faithfully every morning, Richard and I start our day with a protein shake! Not only is it incredibly delicious, it is jam-packed with protein and anti-oxidant nutrition to provide us with smooth, consistent energy until lunchtime. Our smoothies consist of (recipe for two people);
- 1/3 cup Hemp Hearts
- 1 cup fresh or frozen berries of your choice (blueberries lately!)
- 1 cup 2% milk or soy milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 pear, cored
- 8 almonds
- 2 scoops (no artificial sweeteners) protein/whey powder
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
Whiz it up in your blender, adding more fluid if needed and ice cubes to make it really thick... then enjoy!
If you have troubles finding Hemp Hearts or hemp products in your community, contact Rocky Mountain Grain Products. Box 550, Lethbridge, Alberta T1J 3Z4 Telephone: (403) 329-1380 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Having used Hemp Hearts for several years with great success to help me deal with my tendancy towards hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), I happily share this information with you. Maybe this will equip you with a new tool to improve your health, too!
Inner Fitness(R) Programs